[Stoves] PM measurement with Speck

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Jun 22 07:37:10 CDT 2015

Dear Anil

A particle that is not a 'clump' of something solid can't cross the blood brain barrier they way a nanoparticle of silica can, for example. The reason is simple : it is no longer a particle after context.

Black carbon nanoparticles are small enough to get into blood cells and cross the barrier and wander around the brain. That's true. No one knows the effect. They have always been in the environment from fires, especially grass and forest fires.

The blue haze in the Blue Ridge Mountains is caused by liquid particles. There is a lot f stuff floating around.

Hi stovers. This topic of inhaling fine particles is much more complex than
simply affecting the lungs. It also affects the brain directly.

I did some research on how they lodge in brain by breaking the blood brain
barrier. Last year I wrote an article on this in Times of India. . Though
it was written from the point of view of Pranayam (breathing exercise) but
the references in the article should throw light on the issue of inhalation
of the small particles.

www.nariphaltan.org/pranayam.pdf

Cheers.

Anil

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 12:34 AM, Frank Shields <franke at cruzio.com> wrote:

> Dear Andrew and Crispin, Stovers,
>

> All you say does complicate things. We have:
>

> 1)  toxic volatiles; gases that to measure requires scrubbers of
> different types and GC-MS type equipment. So that is out of our range of
> tests but I think we work around that much like the drinking water
> industry.  They test for only fecal coliform(FC) and use it as an
> indicator.  That is if FC is low they consider all the toxic microbes also
> low.  So if we show the air clean of particles we can consider the
> combustion process is also destroying the organic gases(?).
>
> 2)  Droplets; These are water and/or condensed tars. They hit a surface
> and water evaporates and the organic fraction is left as a coating to soon
> be incorporated into tissue or blood stream.
>
> 3)  Inorganic ash; very fine mineral material that may, or not, dissolve
> in water. Likely harmless chemically but can block airflow.
>
> 4)  Soot; organic carbon that can block airflow and migrate into lungs.
>

> It seems testing volatile toxins are out.  It seems determining size of
> particles meaningless if there are droplets or fog.  The problems are both
> blocking airflow in the lungs and organic materials.  If agreed we need to
> test the filter blockage (like the modified SDI test I mentioned) and
> weighing the filtered material and determined percent organic material to
> percent inorganic ash.  (if using cellulose filter we heat to 550c and
> measure inorganic ash left and if using glass fiber filters we heat to 550c
> and determine weight loss as organic).
>

> So we have a (1) SDI type measurement and (2) percent organic and (3)
> inorganic trapped on the filter as Test Results. If the SDI type
> measurement Passes (agreed upon air volume does not reduce air flow as
> agreed upon value) the other two values are not necessary. Something like
> that?
>
> Thanks
> Frank
>

> Frank Shields
> franke at cruzio.com
>

> On Jun 20, 2015, at 10:35 AM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <
> crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:
>
>  Dear Andrew and Frank
>
>  Please consider that many of the 'particles' are not solid. Because the
> N American standards concentrated of 'dry dust' measurements taken above
> 400 degrees, there is a natural tendency to think of particles as little
> bits of carbon or sand.
>
>  Condensed particles are like droplets of fog that appear below 400 which
> is why 400 was chosen to eliminate them!
>
>  When they get to the lung surface they stick like fog condensation on a
> metal plate. They are no longer particles but chemical deposits. They don't
> retain their integrity and wander around like bits of sand. They blend in.
>
>  Most of the PM from a coal of wood fire is condensed particles not dry
> dust. Exposure to PM and disease estimates and 'what might be' are not
> obvious because there really are three things in that mix: condensed
> [...]

Nimbkar Agricultural Research Institute (NARI)
Tambmal, Phaltan-Lonand Road
P.O.Box 44
Phaltan-415523, Maharashtra, India
Ph:91-2166-222396/220945/222842