[Stoves] Kearns' comment on control of primary air flow

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Mon Jun 22 22:43:52 CDT 2015

Crispin,

There are numerous examples of 210 liter barrel TLUD char-makers. One
document by me (ETHOS a few years ago) showed several.

AIR CONTROL is the key.   There must be sufficient _potential _for
primary air flow, meaning to have sufficient holes or slots, etc to let
in the primary air.   But then have a way of controlling the amount of
air that can get into the space under those holes!!!    It is not
reliable to expect the fuel to do the control of the air flow (except
perhaps for the case of industrially processed pellets that have great
consistency).

My general recommendation is for people to make a TLUD that is known to
work well (and know its fuel also).   Gain experience.   And only then
make changes and new designs, with the intention of getting better
results.   I have observed that some people who launch into a new design
(and/or new fuel) without much prior experience can be disappointed with
their results and blame the technology because they lack any prior
positive experiences for comparison.

I do not discourage people from trying new variations and fuels, but I
encourage them to understand what has been shown to work rather well.
THEN go for the improvements and new fuels, etc.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com