[Stoves] How Results Based Financing is spurring solar market development in Tanzania

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Mar 3 17:07:16 CST 2015

Dear Christina

You can connect t everything at the CSI on the C4D website (collaboration for development) which posts a weekly update of activities here.

There are two major reports of direct interest (meaning, getting ideas). They are the initial report on what people do and why and with what fuels and when and how often. There are a number of cooking cycles described in detail. That preceded the technical testing so we knew what to look for in terms of performance, duration and controllability (they are quite demanding on turn-down).

The second is a large survey of well over 1000 households in detail about many things to do with domestic energy and stoves. That is nearing the printing press I think. There are others worth reading but those two are the most significant I think.

The protocol stuff I have already given links for – how the testing is done and calculations and the development of a test cycle that is ‘average use’. Lots of room for perfecting that.

>…We have also been toying with the idea of introducing smaller cylinders into our model but want

What is a small cylinder use for?

>A lot of people here also use wood to heat up water for bathing.

Because the TLUD’s available are well suited to a fuel-fire-and-forget application, I am still hoping we will get some submissions for water heaters (basically a wood-fired kettle). We didn’t get any and were not surprised, but the targets are there and it is far easier to make. There is a HUGE market for such a device – certainly in the 20’s of millions in Indonesia. It could be pellet operated.

>Have you heard of Pima Gas in Kenya?

Nope. Who are they?