[Stoves] How Results Based Financing is spurring solar market development in Tanzania

Christina Espinosa c_espinosa1 at u.pacific.edu
Thu Mar 5 09:23:37 CST 2015

Hi Crispin!

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <
crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

> Dear Christina
>

> You can connect t everything at the CSI on the C4D website (collaboration
> for development) which posts a weekly update of activities here.
>

> There are two major reports of direct interest (meaning, getting ideas).
> They are the initial report on what people do and why and with what fuels
> and when and how often. There are a number of cooking cycles described in
> detail. That preceded the technical testing so we knew what to look for in
> terms of performance, duration and controllability (they are quite
> demanding on turn-down).
>

> The second is a large survey of well over 1000 households in detail about
> many things to do with domestic energy and stoves. That is nearing the
> printing press I think. There are others worth reading but those two are
> the most significant I think.
>

> The protocol stuff I have already given links for – how the testing is
> done and calculations and the development of a test cycle that is ‘average
> use’. Lots of room for perfecting that.

THANKS!!

> *>…*We have also been toying with the idea of introducing smaller
> cylinders into our model but want
>
> What is a small cylinder use for?

The small cylinder would be 10lbs, which doesn't really exist here. It
would help families that can't pay for a larger cylinder continue to use
gas. One thing thats difficult is no one knows when they are going to run
out of gas, so many families don't have their money saved for their
cylinder and turn to wood until they have saved up enough for gas. A number
of families purchase wood in small quantities.

> >A lot of people here also use wood to heat up water for bathing.
>
> Because the TLUD’s available are well suited to a fuel-fire-and-forget
> application, I am still hoping we will get some submissions for water
> heaters (basically a wood-fired kettle). We didn’t get any and were not
> surprised, but the targets are there and it is far easier to make. There is
> a HUGE market for such a device – certainly in the 20’s of millions in
> Indonesia. It could be pellet operated.

I agree. One for large quantities of water. Even rapid water kettle types
would be really useful here.

> >Have you heard of Pima Gas in Kenya?
>
> Nope. Who are they?

They are an LPG company in Kenya that launched a conversion program in the
Kenyan slums. They sell small kits and people can do partial refills. See
below:

http://www.bizrika.com/news-item/kenyans-can-now-refill-cooking-gas-for-as-little-as-sh-50/
https://www.facebook.com/kamaepimagas

> Regards