[Stoves] Test methods for cook stoves

Philip Lloyd plloyd at mweb.co.za
Wed Mar 18 14:33:29 CDT 2015

Dear Frank

You say "We have (MUST have) control over the biomass and task if we ever
want to have a stove test that can be sent to any qualified lab in the World
and come back with all the same results." We want to test stoves, not labs!
Labs should be able to be given a protocol and reproduce the same result
within reasonable limits.  That's what labs are good at.

I thought we were trying to get a better stove - not a better test - and to
find out if one stove performs better than another in a given duty.  So the
first problem is to define the duty, and that is almost entirely set by the
user - he/she defines the fuel and what needs to be cooked.  The fuel and
what needs to be cooked will vary greatly from place to place.  Then you
need some agreed metrics to measure the stove's performance in that duty.
Finally you can get to decide if one stove is better than another in that
duty. Of course, there are a host of duties - different parts of the world
really are different.

So what metrics do we use to measure whether one stove is better than
another?  We could use the amount of fuel consumed in the chosen duty, but
then we have to ask if the user is really interested in the quantity of
fuel.  The work that I have done suggests that it doesn't rank very high -
once you get to a reasonable level of fuel use, the user is happy.  We could
use ease of use, but that is really difficult to measure, because the cooks
learn the tricks of the trade as they grow accustomed to a fuel/stove
combination.  The one metric that the users really seem to value is whether
a stove burns the user's choice of fuel more cleanly than another stove.  If
it isn't very "clean" (however that is defined) then it is likely to taint
the food being cooked.  The cleaner the burn, the less the unwelcome flavour
(although sometimes the flavour is welcomed - think smoked salmon).

And with "clean" as the metric, there IS something on which the
international community seems to agree. Emissions from stoves are fingered
by organisations like the World Health Organization as having an adverse
impact on people's lives - indeed, on their life expectancy.  So cleaner
stoves is not merely my target - it underpins the whole rationale for the
Global Alliance, for instance.  We must not be diverted into things like the
Clean Development Mechanism, whose primary target is carbon, a doubtful
candidate for a pollutant when you consider how essential the stuff is to
life.  Indeed, history seems likely to view the US court's labeling of
carbon as a pollutant as one of this generation's more unlikely aberrations,
sort of like the belief in slavery 200 years ago.

Hope that helps clarify things.

Kind regards

Philip