[Stoves] Annular Crosscurrent Burner for ND-TLUD

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Mar 19 21:01:04 CDT 2015

Dear Julien

Thanks so much for sharing frankly. No need to lose your head.

I really like your detailed reporting method. It is probably best you try a pot on the burner even if it is on a separate stand. If the gap is constant you can get a meaningful result from test to test.

Keep track of the water mass so you can calculate the heat gain rate.

You obviously have a method of logging the thermocouples. How are you doing it?

Thanls
Crispin

Hi Stovers;

I have been having a bit of an off list discussion about using the
thermocouples to assess the performance of the annular crosscurrent burner
(AB).  My intension was to use temperature measurements in the riser to
detect any potential problems that the AB burner may have, relative to a
burner without a central distributor.

So, the question I asked off-list was: "I realize that I don't know the
actual heat flux, nor from whence it came, nor the actual efficiencies  I
asking something much simpler.  I have got two burners A and B.  Burner A
is traditional, and burner B is novel.  Will using the thermocouples, as I
had done, let me know if B is a bad idea?"

And the answer was:

=============
No you cannot. You are missing a metric. You ask the question of any
determination by first looking at the units. Temperature is one dimension.
Heat flux has three dimensions : energy per unit time per unit area.

You don't need that much info, only the energy gained per unit time. See?

But you need more than temperature.

Because the EA [excess air] changes with power (usually) and the heat
transfer efficiency is not constant, and the temperature is variable, you
should just put on a pot. That gives you heat gain. Actual performance.
There is little point in rating a fire.

=============

So, on that view, my the energy portion of my study is inconclusive.

That is OK.  When I submit these "experimental vignettes" I am deliberately
sticking my neck out to see if anyone can chop off my head.  I was waiting
for the axe to fall on the thermocouples.

The idea is to present some basic data from TLUD stoves, and think about
what it could mean.  Most of the time, the explanations are complex,
and without necessary supporting measurements.

Cheers,
Julien

--
Julien Winter