[Stoves] haybox cooking

CHRISTA ROTH stoves at foodandfuel.info
Sat May 2 16:03:03 CDT 2015

Dear Andrew, and other stovers,

 there is an entire chapter on retained heat cooking on the GIZ HERA cooking energy compendium https://energypedia.info/wiki/General_Kitchen_Management_Practices#Heat_Retainers:_Keep_cool.2C_stay_hot

On the bottom of the page there are more links and further references, e.g. to the document I co-wrote already 10 years ago on Retained heat cooker: "Fireless cooker" or "Foodwarmer"
An illustrated step-by-step description from Malawi showing how to build a food warmer/fireless cooker using materials that were abundantly available where we lived: a basket (e.g. old storage basket), cloth (that can be washed for hygienic reasons) and dried banana leaves. Cooking times for local dishes are included.

https://energypedia.info/index.php?title=File:GTZ_4a_FS_fireless_cooker_2010.pdf&page=1

My parents grew up with home-made fireless cookers during WWII out of necessity. They used the duvets and blankets to wrap the pots.
There is a nice document on the history on http://www.thehotboxco.co.za/history.html . The site also has some recipes.

The South African 'hotbox' is still my favorite device that also makes a really good travel pillow: some might have seen me travelling with one since I got some in 2008 from Natasha Cowie before she sold the business to the current owners.

Regards
Christa