[Stoves] Sequestering carbon -

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed May 6 06:19:02 CDT 2015

Dear AD

In that case using bananas old or new should be possible. Ants might be a problem with sugar based binders. It would be in Swaziland!

About the ash, if you asked me to answer without looking it up I would have said 0.6 to 0.8%. Oak is high at 2%.

Penn Taylor, in his Masters thesis, used oak as an example (because of high ash) to propose a solution to the ash/char accounting error in the WBT and demonstrates the influence on the result.

It you have wood with 6% ash the effect is even higher. This is worth checking.

Dear Crispin,
the ash content of high grade fuelwood is about 6 to 8%. Iff one
assumes the yield of charcoal to be about one third of the weight of
wood, the charcoal would have about 18 to 24% ash. So the 20% ash in
the pillow briquette is O.K.
As far as a binder for char briquettes is concerned, I would like to
suggest trying out powdered sugar. It melts at 110C. Application of
pressure to the char-sugar mixture would heat it, causing the sugar to
melt and to act as a binder.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On 5/5/15, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:
> Dear Rolf
>

> The typical binder content of a pillow briquette is enough to bring the
> total ash content to 20%. As the ash content of the charcoal is perhaps 7%
> it means the ash content of what has been added is about 13%. It could be
> something as simple as clay though that would be unusual (but it works).
>

> Others have given you the standard fare regarding the use of cooked flour
> or
> starch. Many countries harvest starch sources for making industrial
> products, not foods.
>
> There is a list here
> <http://www.terawet.com/uploads/Starch_sorces___Processing_in_India.pdf> .
> Might give you some ideas.
>

> Green bananas might be a good source for many people - all the rejects from
> the market, for example. It dries pretty hard. When it is ripe it is 22%
> sugar but before that it is starch which is a di-saccharide if I recall
> correctly.
>

> There are two ways to make briquettes: in a container of some kind and
> using
> a rotating, slightly tilted flat pan hopper.
>

> When the flat pan hopper is rotated with material in it (at the right
> moisture content) little balls of material start rolling downhill over the
> other material. They gain in size and start rolling faster. According to
> the
> tilt and the material, they grow to a size that hops off the container.
> Those balls are dried and sold.
>

> It is the same mechanism what is used to make cement on a small scale - 5-8
> tons per day.  The tilted hopper sits atop a vertical chimney and the balls
> fall into the chimney which has a bottom-lit fire in it. As the mixture
> burns cement is pulled out of the bottom.
>

> You want the same thing except the heat will dry the balls. You can leave
> out the drying part and just use the ball forming mechanism. It is very
> simple - so simple that people try to keep the knowledge to themselves
> because it is easy to get into the business just seeing it working once.
>

> Richard's briquettes are low density and those balls would be similar. The
> pressed pillows take far more energy and expensive equipment. The product
> is
> more durable and lights with more difficulty and lasts a long time. We
> recommend people cook in a Vesto using only 6 pillow briquettes,
>

> Kingsford pillow briquettes have 6 ingredients, not two. One of them is
> powdered anthracite which gives them their low lasting glow. You could
> consider adding that in small quantities. It should be a low volatiles coal
> and because you want it powdered, you can use duff coal (below 6mm in sieve
> size) which is really cheap. North American coals generally have high
> sulphur compared with other places so be picky about the source. If you
> were
> in South Africa I would recommend the Transkei Coals which are just South
> [...]

Chairman, Samuchit Enviro Tech Pvt Ltd (www.samuchit.com)

Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)

stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org

http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/