[Stoves] Sequestering carbon -

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Thu May 7 12:16:13 CDT 2015

Binders in Briquettes

Fresh biomass has a lot of lipids (solvent extractions) and sugars (water extractions) that can be first removed and concentrated before microbes quickly biodegrade them. Perhaps this glue of oils and sugars concentrated on sawdust or clay could be used as the binder. Must be extracted from growing biomass because once cut it is quickly biodegraded. First water extraction by squeezing or pressing. Then forced air dried at ~ 60c then solvent extraction of the dry material. These solutions are mixed together(?) and concentrated by boiling off the excess. When close to dry add a binder (sawdust or clay?) and further evaporate until a paste is made. The biomass after extracted can then be used as planned to make the briquettes.

Not sure if there is enough binder material can be extracted to use all the dry biomass in making the briquette. May end up with excess dry biomass.

Might work.

Frank Shields
franke at cruzio.com