[Stoves] big TLUD

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu May 14 17:44:20 CDT 2015

Fantastic.

If I have a fan stove could I get 800 in the reaction zone or is this
something that just has to be done episodically?

Thanks
Crispin

=============

>A related question for Tom Miles:
>What do you think of the possibility of running a steam stream into a
>TLUD with the primary air to pass water vapour into the pyrolysis zone
>to create, at a lower temperature, H2 and CO. This will have the effect
>of decreasing the heat available in the fuel bed and increase the CV of the
gas produced.

If I may butt in; this water gas reaction depends on the steam meeting with
hot char at above 800C to convert most of the water, it is highly
endothermic, so I doubt the descending pyrolysis front is hot enough and
even if it were the endothermy and small mass of hot char would very quickly
quench the reaction.

>This effect was accomplished by spraying water onto the hot coals in a
>coal gas plant. It reduced the temperature of the working environment
>and increased the CV of the "town gas".

Yes but the mass of hot coke (and probably the brick lining plus the fact
the steam was superheated made the reaction possible for a while, then the
coals cooled and the  steam was shut off whilst the coals were blasted with
air to give a CO and N2 mix, this being endothermic took the mass back up to
above 1100C., The CO+N" at 1100C was then burned separately to raise steam
and repeat the process. This way the output was H2 and CO nearly free of N2.

AJH