[Stoves] Pyrolysis: No Air?

kgharris kgharris at sonic.net
Sat May 16 22:34:35 CDT 2015

Dean,

Thank you for bringing this up.  I have never really thought about there being a difference between pyrolysis and gasification.  The definition of gasification in Wikipedia, "This is achieved by reacting the material at high temperatures (>700 °C), without combustion, with a controlled amount of oxygen and/or steam", is different from the definition of pyrolysis which is without additional oxygen.  Your statement seems correct according to this.

As I read further in Wikipedia, there is a section on chemical reactions.  Here there are 5 different processes which the fuel undergoes, pyrolysis being one of those.  This would lead me to believe that pyrolysis is part of the more general process of gasification.  Rather than it being one or the other, a TLUD would include both.  The small amount of added air supports the combustion of a small amount of the gas to produce heat, but that air is soon used up and most of the fuel pyrolyzes without added air.  The combination, including pyrolysis, would be gasification.

I will look further to see if Christa Roth adresses this question in her Micro-gasification manual.

Kirk