[Stoves] Pyrolysis: No Air?

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Mon May 25 05:05:58 CDT 2015

[Default] On Sat, 16 May 2015 19:58:01 -0400,Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
<crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

>As biomass is about 40% oxygen by mass, there is a real chance one can have some combustion without any air at all

We have been here before: whichever way you look at it, either that
the wood is already a partially oxidised fuel or that wood has been
built from reducing atmospheric CO2 and water by photosynthesis and
many more steps, energy is conserved so if you completely oxidise it
you get much the same energy as if you could separate the carbon
content and oxidise that. My conclusion is that the bond energies in
wood  are such that there is no energy to be gained by altering the
oxidation state other than by further oxidation.

AJH