[Stoves] Pyrolysis: No Air?

Dean Still deankstill at gmail.com
Sun May 17 00:07:59 CDT 2015

Kirk,

That's very interesting! Thanks!

You say:

"The small amount of added air supports the combustion of a small amount of
the gas to produce heat, but that air is soon used up and most of the fuel
pyrolyzes without added air."

I experience that a constant supply of air is needed to keep the TLUD
going. Without added air I see the gas making eventually stop so I've
wondered if the word gasification is a better descriptor. I agree that it
is a small amount of primary air which, if too much, makes too much gas and
then produces visible smoke since the mixing/time can't handle the overly
rich mixture.

Too little primary air and the reactions stop? You experience that no
primary air is needed to continue the reactions?

What about a Rocket or an open fire? No pyrolysis? Always has oxygen?

Best,

Dean