[Stoves] Pyrolysis: No Air?

Dean Still deankstill at gmail.com
Sun May 17 14:48:58 CDT 2015

Paul,

Clean Rockets have a secondary combustion chamber above the primary
combustion chamber as in a TLUD (the Rocket has the vertical tube above the
fire). A TLUD without a secondary chamber can make smoke but adding the
'burn out chamber' like in your and Kirk's stoves cleans up combustion. In
the same way, lots of folks are adding jets of air in a Rockets vertical
tube to increase mixing and decrease escaping emissions.

In a TLUD, especially when the fuel is low in the combustion chamber there
is a definite distance between gas creation and gas burning but as you say
it seems that in many ways"the various chemical and physical processes are
the same" in a Rocket and TLUD. The big advantage of the TLUD, I think, is
that all of the gases go into the flame which is not true in a Rocket. So
the Rocket is dependent on jets of forced air to create a zone of mixing
but a natural draft TLUD can be as clean as a forced air TLUD.

Best,

Dean