[Stoves] WB report from 2009 on Mongolian Heating and Cooking Stoves

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu May 21 15:16:38 CDT 2015

Dear Friends

Paul in particular was looking for documentation on the Mongolian stove
programme. Here is one document that is quite early - 2009. It contains a
little testing before we even had a lab.

The main purpose of that slide was to show people that a 'fuel' cannot
inherently be 'clean' or 'dirty' - it depends on how you burn it. At the
time it was a particularly unwelcomed view, that changing the stove could
change the emissions from a fuel. The popular view was that coal was 'dirty'
and semi-coked coal was 'improved'. There are four contributing factors to
how well a stove handles a fuel. By tuning the stove to the fuel, the
emissions basically vanished. For the best stoves, emissions are pretty much
limited to the ignition phase.

This situation analysis document is a glimpse into the past, 6 years ago,
when we had little going for this radical idea: cleaning up a whole city's
air without change the fuel. It had not been done before and many said out
loud it could not be done, only limited slightly.

++++++++++++++++

Mongolia

Heating in Poor, Peri-urban Ger Areas of Ulaanbaatar

Asia Sustainable and Alternative Energy Program

Sustainable Development Department

East Asia and Pacific Region

The World Bank

Available here
<http://www.newdawnengineering.com/website/library/Papers+Articles/WB/Heatin
g%20report%20(2009-06-01)%20-%20FINAL.pdf>  (and somewhere on the WB
website).