[Stoves] Interesting thesis on heating biomass / torrificationbut trapping the volatiles

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Wed May 27 00:34:17 CDT 2015

Dear Paul, Stovers,

Very interesting article. Thanks!

Here they split wood into Cellulose, hemi-cellulose and lignin as it seems most do. But with our potential products there are two other groups that I think may (at times) be important and I am not sure how there contributions in poetizing or combustion in our stoves. They are as follows:

1) Waxes, fats, resins, some gums and water solubles
2) Tannins, gums, sugars, coloring matter and starches.

These can be extracted from biomass by Alcohol-toluene (for group 1) and hot water for group 2.

After these are removed the lignin is determined by whats left after treatment with sulfuric acid and cellulose and hem-cellulose by other long chemical processes (ASTM D1103-60) and (ASTM D 1104-56).

These last two groups I believe are biodegradable and quickly removed from the biomass structure for reason they are often omitted but can amount to a lot on some of our biomass potentials.

Contrary to what Crispin says we do have the perfect fuel as long as in the same paragraph we note the perfect stove. : )   Its easy to note the perfect stove by the maker, model, and serial number. But how do we note the perfect fuel? I am thinking the above three major components along with the two groups I mention is the chemistry needed . Then we also need physical attributes.

Also; I need some help in understanding some units. They mention the piston provides 20 MPa pressure. Is that the same as 2900 ft-lb/sq inch? If I have that right that is a lot. And they produce a pellet (or cylinder) of pressed biomass with a compression strength of 60 to 200 MPa (Wow). They don’t seem to mention how that was measured. That is 8705 to 29008 ft-lbs/sq inch!   Adobe bricks measure around 200 ft-lbs/sq inch. We can make houses out of pressed biomass.

Thanks

Frank

Frank Shields
franke at cruzio.com