[Stoves] Another high performance stove located

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Nov 12 20:40:02 CST 2015

"It has an interesting method of real time particulate measurement‎."

It is a TEOM device. Tapered Element Oscillating Microbalance. As the PM accumulates on the filter, it changes the resonant frequency which is reported on the data sheet. It is about 185 Hz.

It doesn't have an O2 cell does it? It calculates either O2 or CO2 which is OK for liquid fuels. It uses a carbon balance calculation which is almost always wrong for a solid fuel burning stove.  ‎Unfortunately.

Andrew,
The measurements made using a Wohler SM 500. It was developed to meet new
German requirments for field testing particulate emissions fromwood stoves.
The operating manual is at
http://www.woehler.de/uploads/tx_leonexdownloads/22885_BDA-Woehler_SM_500_EN.pdf
It has an interesting method of real time particulate measurement.

It was testing a one-off gravity feed pellet stove that ran all day at the
stove camp which is  shown  in a picture or two at
http://www.mha-net.org/docs/v8n2/wildac15x.htm

Here is the decoder for some of the data previously posted, followed by the
data again.
Data;O2 should be O2 avg, I think.
There are some error factors which may be explained in the manual.

I can share the entire 'as sampled' data set as a google doc if your
interested.

Alex

Variable

Description

mstf(mg)

Total suspended particulate matter mass

mst(mg/m3)

Total suspended particulate matter mass concentration in flue gas

mst60(mg/m3)

Total suspended particulate matter mass concentration in flue gas averaged
over theoretical 60 minute test

mst_O2(mg/m3)

Total suspended particulate matter mass concentration in flue gas referred
to the adjustable oxygen reference value

O2(%)

Instantaneous oxygen reading

O2_avg(%)

15 minute averaged oxygen reading

COv(ppm)

Carbon monoxide given as a 15-minute average

COv_avg(ppm)

Carbon monoxide given as a running average during a test

CON(mg/m3)

Carbon Monoxide air free concentration referred to adjustable oxygen
reference value

CON_avg(mg/m3)

Carbon Monoxide air free concentration referred to adjustable oxygen
reference value as a running average

Vols(NL/min)

Sample rate in standard liters per minute (0oC and 0% relative humidity, 1
atm Pressure)

Vol(NL)

Accumulated sample volume in standard liters
Measurement results:O2:10.6%COv:137ppmCOn:131mg/m³erw. U COn:35mg/m³COn - U:
0.096g/m³mStF:1.7mgmSt:33mg/m³mSt(O2):25mg/m³erw. U mSt(O2):9mg/m³mSt(O2) -
U:0.016g/m³Volume:44.3NlDuration:0:15:00Date:10.07.2015Uncertainty
mSt:36%Uncertainty
CO:26.5%