[Stoves] Another high performance stove located

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Nov 16 14:02:55 CST 2015

Thanks Frank

Do you think the volatiles will be as high as 25%? I find that surprisingly high. What would the carbon content be?

Thanks
Crispin

Dear Crispin and Stovers,

Thanks for the example. This is the way I look at it:

Doing a TGA on a sample of fuel it might come out something like this Ponderosa Pine taken from REED book located on Paul Andersons webb site.
fixed Matter 17.17%
Volatile Matter 82.54%
Ash 0.28%
Carbon 49.25%
Hydrogen  5.99%
Oxygen 44.36 %
Nitrogen 0.06%
Sulfur 0.03%
HHV 2002 Kj.g
HIV 19.66 Kj/g calculated

You started with 760 grams and ended with 193 grams after all flames stopped.
Based on the REED TGA you should have started with 760 and ended with 131 grams char left
Therefore you have 62.5 grams volatiles left in the remaining material along with all the char.

Using the TGA (and formula they use) you started with
15200 kj energy

Using info from the REED document Biochar has 32 kj/g energy and Fixed Matter (biochar) of this sample = 17.17% of biomass
You start with:
11008 kj volatiles energy
4192 kj biochar energy

You are left with:
4192 kj biochar energy
1240 kj volatile energy
Totals 5432 kj energy

You used:
15200 - 5432 = 9768 kj energy to cook your food.

This method can be used on Rocket Stoves and all others eliminating all the mess-and-fuss of dragging out burning mass of fuel and sorting to get energy values of what is left.

If we do it this way we have our ‘energy used’ values pertaining to the exact fuel we use. We just need to get a TGA and associated chemical values OR a TGA and calorimeter values.

adding in ash complicates the calculations so I left those out.

Thanks

frank