[Stoves] Good enough stove?

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Sat Nov 21 13:55:14 CST 2015

Dear Crispin, Paul and Stovers,

<snip>

> 2.  Crispin asks:
>> Which would you finance: a reduction in the energy drawn from the forest? Or a reduction in the energy released from the fuel consumed?
> There is no single correct response.  Both should be calculated and reported.   And the circumstances need to be understood.

The Correct Response Is! …..    : )

<snip>
OR

1) (Crispin added) a reduction in the energy drawn from the forest?
2) the time it takes to gather fuel
3) the ability of the forest to regenerate
4) the type of fuel that is used (vegetative matter, dead twigs, wood)
5) business possibilities gathering wood
6) char (or not) being made
7) reduction of degrees of hazard gathering biomass
8) the number of wheelbarrow loads of wood being moved
9) etc. etc.

All equal as a measure as the ‘reduction of energy drawn from the forest’. The importance of looking at it from outside the stove depends on the site specific situation. So for our purpose of testing stoves it is only important to look at it from inside the combustion chamber - “reduction of energy released from fuel consumption”. The importance of ‘outside’ the stove is left to the end user and is used to pick one stove over another.

Therefore we only need to calculate the Energy Used in the Combustion Chamber in a 1) repeatable 2) accurate 3) with precision 4) and common producible results from all (certified) labs doing the tests. The ‘outside’ results can then be determined on a site specific and importance for the potential purchaser.

So we start with Box 1 and get control of the fuel. Place limits on the fuel for a specific combustion chamber. Market the stove to locations having that fuel with those limits available.

and we can start doing this any old time

Regards

Frank

Frank Shields