[Stoves] Good enough stove?

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Sun Nov 22 00:27:34 CST 2015

Dear Crispin,

First we lay down the ground rules. Our clients are the poorest of the poor.  Poor quality and hard to get fuel. They cook with a minimum of tasks required.

If this is a reasonable client description? I go forward with we need to 1) complete a task 2) using the minimum quantity of fuel as our goal. So yes in this case thermal efficiency is relative to the amount of fuel used that was provided to the lab. And where fuel is in very short supply (as in this example) thermal efficiency value is very important when picking the stove that uses less of the type of fuel received to do the same task.

Remember: This is a test method that is run in labs all over the World and results used in comparison.

I am sure there are salesmen, manufacturing issues, marketing, cost, shape and color that are all involved in who get the sale. But lucky for us scientist we can ignore all that and just provide a list of stoves with test results describing what they should expect if purchasing.

FIELD Fuel consumption cannot be determined in the lab. If the stove takes in sticks 3c m diameter and 10 cm long the rest of the biomass from the tree is wasted. And we need to get Box 1 through Box 6 taken care of and under control if we are ever going to have labs around the World testing stoves.  That so they can be tested at a reasonable cost and we can get lots of stoves in the list to compare. (our goal)

That is why there needs to be a collection and inventory of possible biofuels from an area. Then a request for stoves using the available fuels (already in a list).

> The confusing thing is when the fuel saving is overstated because people report some proxy for the heat transfer efficiency instead of the energy consumption (represented by kg consumed).

Perhaps I am missing something here?

Stove testing in labs we can only do heat transfer efficiency HTE. To test fuel consumption you would need a lot of fuel to get values meaning anything. Fuel consumption is someone else job that works in the field. They can do that based on the lab results of HTE and sorting all the biomass to see what fraction can be used in a stove based on reported fuel limits for the stove. We give them (per task) the weight of fuel, moisture, kj energy in the fuel used.

Usable HTE values will differ with each fuel type so there needs to be a list and description of fuels in potential locations.  We need real control over the energy used and, as I have suggested in the past, the TGA will provide that info. I am suggesting we add the (pyrolyzes energy) +  (the CO > CO2 energy) =  (the total energy used) to complete a task.  The fuel used is adjusted to within a few percent of the moisture reported to be typical and no calculation are done with the water in the fuel - and we use HHV results.

This is a lot easier than it reads. It seems we no longer want labs around the World to test stoves and open the selection to many more stove designers?

Regards

Frank

Frank Shields

See below