[Stoves] [biochar] [biochar-stoves] A review of chronological development in cookstove assessment methods: Challenges and way forward

kchisholm at seaside.ns.ca kchisholm at seaside.ns.ca
Tue Nov 24 06:54:44 CST 2015

Hi Ron

From: biochar at yahoogroups.com [mailto:biochar at yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2015 1:36 AM
To: Lloyd Helferty <lhelferty at sympatico.ca>
Cc: Biochar <biochar at yahoogroups.com>; Entire Group
<biocharstoves-7xpll at wiggiomail.com>; S. Jain (Env. Engg.)
<sureshjiitd at gmail.com>; Discussion of biomass
<stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
Subject: Re: [biochar] [biochar-stoves] A review of chronological
development in cookstove assessment methods: Challenges and way forward

# "Efficiency" can be anything that you define it to be.   Usually, it is
defined as "(Useful Output Energy)/(Input Energy)"

Lloyd et al:  Adding "stoves - as that is where we have had a similar dialog
in the past

            I promised an example.  Use energy of wood and charcoal as
measured to be 18 and 30 MJ/kg - both possible.)

            Assume 1 kg of wood into the stove - or 18 MJ.

            Assume water boiling away calculates to 6 MJ;   Effic1 = 6/18  =
33%  (Some say stop here; this is a typical number for many stoves including
TLUDs)

# This is a valid calculation of "Wood Energy Utilization Efficiency" or
"Stove Efficiency".

            Assume (to get easy numbers) 26.7% (a little high but a possible
number) by weight char production - gives .267* 30 = 8 MJ in the char.
Effic2 = 8/18 = .444 = 44%,

# With the assumption of 26.7% charcoal yield weight, this is a valid
calculation for "Energy Content of Charcoal as a % of the energy content of
the initial biomass.

             Using the pyrolysis gases in the denominator -  Effic 3 =
6/(18-8) = 6/10 = 60%  (This use of the char energy in the denominator is
the most common way of handling char- added (60-33 =) 27% to the reported
value of the stove - )

# This is an invalid calculation of stove efficiency. Only 6 MJ of the input
fuel went to performing the "stove function" of actually boiling water. It
wrongly deducts "carbon energy loss to the ashpit" from the input fuel
energy. It is not a measure of "Stove Efficiency". At the best, it is an
"Energy Allocation Balance".

            But  I think it more proper to add the first two efficiencies:
Effic4 = Effic1+ Effic 2 = .333+.444 = .777  (17.7% bigger than the 60%
value - and I think also an honest way to look at what is going on.

# That process complicates the matter in a deceptive manner.

 Last I saw,  EPA did not add these together, but they did report Effic 1
and Effic 2.  Sales people for biochar and TLUDs are apt to add them of
course.   We obviously want both numbers to be as high as possible.

# No. We want the numbers to be truthful and helpful, and not deceptive and
misleading.

            The losses are 18-6-8 = 4 MJ  or 4/18= 22.2%  (mostly hot
gases).  This is what we should be concentrating on - not 100-60 = 40%.  In
inefficiency terms, I claim the losses we want to reduce are nowhere near
40% - if you want both char and water boiled away.  40% is the portion of
energy in the pyrolysis gases that we failed to capture.

# The Stove Efficiency, (Energy Transferred to Boiling Water) / (Input Fuel
Energy), is 6/18=33.33%. Removing the energy content of the charcoal
produced in a TLUD from the fuel energy input is a misleading "paper
exercise" deception when the result is termed "Stove Efficiency".

            If we burnt the wood (no resultant char) rather than pyrolyze
it, we might expect to have a 60% efficient stove - but no-one measures any
wood stove that high.

# Wood Chips are routinely burned in boilers at an efficiency of 80% to 90%.

 Why not?  I don't have a good answer, but suspect it might relate to how
hydrogen fits in.  That is - with little hydrogen in the char, the hot gases
are more hydrogen rich with a pyrolysis stove.  Better heat transfer with
more hydrogen?  A hotter flame?    Or is the effect due to oxygen - which
also is a lower percentage in char than in wood?   Or both?

# One does not have to know the "internal workings of a stove system" to
determine Stove Efficiency.

One only needs to know (Useful Output Energy)/Input Energy).

            Comments appreciated when we are striving to make char in a
stove:

                                                                         Q1:
are the losses 22%, 40%, or 67%?

# A1: As a Stove, the losses are 67%