[Stoves] [biochar] [biochar-stoves] A review of chronological development in cookstove assessment methods: Challenges and way forward

kchisholm at seaside.ns.ca kchisholm at seaside.ns.ca
Wed Nov 25 22:06:18 CST 2015

Hi Ron

I would comment as follows:

1: You are certainly free to accept or reject my views on Efficiency. Any
definition of "Efficiency" that is clear, factual, helpful, and meaningful
is acceptable to me. Definitions that are tricky, deceptive, misleading  and
self-serving will not come into general use and acceptance.

2: I would agree with the quote from Dr. Jain's work:

the energy stored in the charcoal should be considered     as a useful
energy.

However I would disagree strongly if he said:

the energy stored in biochar should be considered     as a useful energy.

Inherently, if charcoal is utilized as energy, it is consumed in the "energy
conversion process" and is unavailable for use as biochar. Conversion of
charcoal to energy destroys its potential for use as biochar.

It is inherently incorrect to calculate an "Energy Efficiency" for a char
making stove by giving "energy credit to the biochar", when by definition,
biochar does not have an "energy end use".

Kevin