[Stoves] Request for biochar results.

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Thu Nov 26 12:48:06 CST 2015

Dear Prof. Philip Lloyd,

The improvements biochar makes to a soil is best seen in lab results. It reports changes in texture, water movement and availability (along with soluble nutrients), nutrient holding etc. etc.

Because biochar is not needed by plants you will only see a change in plants if the changes in soil texture and/or nutrient availability are made limiting. If not made limiting there will be no difference so it could take many years before the conditions are right for seeing a biochar difference.

If a lab tests shows biochar holds nitrogen longer in the root zone compared to non-biochar soil then at some point when nitrogen is depleted in the non-biochar soil you will see a difference. Naturally it could take years before the condition is meet but in research the limiting condition can be forced. Poorly designed biochar test plots show good results, bad results and no difference. Results mean little.

Regards

Frank

Frank Shields