[Stoves] Question regarding calculations

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Thu Oct 1 12:55:19 CDT 2015

Greetings Prof. Lloyd,

Wondering if you would explain the following interesting graph so that I can understand it?

I’m just going to use the 4.186 good to three decimals as if I know what I am doing but how did that come from the following graph? and what is going on before 40c that increases the heat capacity of water? and increasing after 40c? What is so great about 40c?

Is the average increase of 4.186 /g water per deg. C based on going from 20c > 95c?

To increase water from 85c (4.20) to 95c (4.21) a more accurate value is the average of 4.205 j/g/deg.c?

To increase water from 15c (4.19) to 30c (4.18) do you suck heat out at a rate of 4.185 per gram per deg. c? Ha!

What is happening at 40c to make water have the lowest specific heat capacity?

No need to answer if it is real complicated and beyond my understanding because I am happy using the value 4.186.

Thanks

Frank