[Stoves] Rights about stove designs Re: [biochar-stoves]

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sun Sep 13 05:10:53 CDT 2015

Dear Friends

I support the story from Dean. The TLUD coal burners (and wood briquettes) have been made in Turkey since the late 1950’s by the company now called “Silver <http://www.silver.com.tr/> ”.  Silverfire (in the USA) has nothing to do with Silver in Turkey.

There is a company in Lithuania (so I heard – they offered products) making a similar TLUD product. It is likely that both are based on a Russian TLUD from the 50’s or earlier. In 1906 a Russian company set up production in Mongolia of a vertical-downdraft stove so it is possible that both systems were in use in Russia since then. I found someone operating a welding shop in Ulaanbaatar who knew without being shown how to light a downdraft stove – which greatly surprised me. He was familiar with it since he was a kid.

We should not be too surprised when we find new ideas popping out of old ones. Benjamin Franklin patented his version of the English downdraft stove in 1742 – being a sort of crossdraft stove with a downward tendency. It is more modern than most coal and wood burners on the market today. Why are we going backwards??

Hi Paul and Ron,

Let's not forget that the modern Chinese stove community has specialized in TLUD type natural draft stoves for more than 20 years. It's just as likely that the stove you ordered was designed in China and is now being sold worldwide. I think it is also sold by SilverFire?

Hundreds of millions of natural draft coal burning TLUD type stoves are sold in China. Many manufacturers make biomass fueled forced air stoves like the Tom Reed stove but they are larger to match the big woks.

It would be very interesting to learn about the Chinese history of top feed cylindrical combustion chamber with primary and secondary air stoves.  The Chinese batch fed primary/secondary air stoves could be hundreds of years old. I don't know.

Best,

Dean