[Stoves] History of clean Chinese stove development. Re: Rights about stove designs Re: [biochar-stoves]

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sun Sep 13 12:05:54 CDT 2015

Dean and all,                           (To post at www.drtlud.com , but
all replies via the Listservs, please.)

It is remarkable how the documentation of the development of
clean-burning stoves in China is so scarce.   If you can influence
anyone to actually substantiate what you have written in your email
below and put it into English, that would be a great service.

Instead, the evidence that comes from China today is that the air
pollution from the coal burning stoves is horrible and that they are
wanting solutions.   And I doubt that the principles of TLUD-type
combustion are being used with those hundreds of millions of stoves that
you mention.

Crispin reports great success of lower emissions with gasifier-type
(whether TLUD or not is not an issue) stoves (for cooking and for
heating) burning low-grade coal  in Mongolia.  That is documented
evidence, and the concepts and designs did not come from copying the
Chinese coal burning stoves.

Less than 10 years ago (2007) there was a competition of clean
cookstoves in China.  Dana Charron and Berkeley folks helped run it.
Many candidates.  Of the seven or eight finalists, only one (Daxu) was a
legitimate TLUD gasifier, and it won first place.   So, I see no support
for your statement:
> the modern Chinese stove community has specialized in TLUD type
> natural draft stoves for more than 20 years.
Dean, you and anyone else are invited to present documentation about
stove progress in China or in any country.   But simple statements
without backup documentation are not sufficient, and should not be
coming from a person who is continually invited to represent the
informal Stover Community to administrators and sources of funding.
Your comments below only contribute to the myths that plague our work
and our progress.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com