[Stoves] Strata combustor general principles

Roberto Poehlmann roberto.poehlmann at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 14:25:41 CDT 2015

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for sharing this knowledge.
I see that the Strata combustor has evolved to a design with several
secondary tubes. This remind me the secondary tubes of some double
combustion woodstoves, but without the use of the venturi effect.

I always see the TLUD combustion chamber as a smoke or woodgas generator.
On top of the combustion chamber, exists multiple alternatives to put
different kind of combustors. One alternative is the Strata combustor, as
you propose. Another alternative is a pipe to conduct the woogas to a lpg
like burning device, as Alexis Belonio did in Phillipines.

With that in mind, i have constructed a combustor wich also utilizes the
venturi effect. Is a vertical tube with two rows of secondary holes on top
of the central ring hole. The diameter of the central ring hole (and the
tube) is smaller than a standar TLUD ring hole. Inside the tube, because of
the drop in pressure, it sucks secondary air to allow a good mixing of the
gases.
Because of the small diameter of the tube (2 inches aprox.), i can have a
low consumption rate of pellets, without the risk of smoke traspassing
through the flame. Another advantage of this design, is that the pot "see"
the entire flame.
With this design, i see that 2 or 3 rows of secondary holes, generate a
very good looking flame, without any perceptible contamination.

Have you tried to put 2 layers or rows of secondary tubes in the Strata
combustor? Maybe you can also reduce the top hole of the combustion
chamber, and with the additional tubes, you can increase the rate of
combustion.

Another question or idea: have you tried to have a premixing flame?
I tried to do that, but when the air enter below the secondary flame, the
air reacts with the smoke and generate a pilot flame below the principal
flame.
It is possible to cool down the smoke before mixing it with air, to have a
premixing flame? I see that in some woodgas generator to feed internal
combustion engines, so maybe is possible.

But, after the intend to have a premixing flame, i have had a new idea. It
is the increase of the pilot air below the principal flame or terciary
flame, to reduce it at very high combustion rates. Part of the smoke will
be burn inside the combustion chamber, before reaching the principal flame.

Greetings
Roberto Poehlmann