[Stoves] Rights about stove designs Re: [biochar-stoves]

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Mon Sep 14 14:27:13 CDT 2015

Resending this as it came through in digest as gobledygook.

I'm glad my post was of interest. Thank you for your comments everyone,
and I look forward to hearing other's impressions after trying it.

On 13 Sep 2015 at 12:00, Ronal W. Larson wrote:

> 	I?ve made many dozen TLUDs.  I value my time too highly to think I could
> come close to this price starting with two tin cans.  I?m anxious to see
> what can get for these prices - and what I would do differently.  The two
> photos I have seen don?t jibe.

The photos in the ebay ad are confusing I agree, but all will make sense
when you receive the stove.  In the first picture with the four
components displayed, the double skin piece at TR with the secondary air
holes sits on top of the base ring at TL.  The piece at BL with the
primary air holes/grate then drops inside the above assembly with its top
rolled edge rim resting on the ridge at the bottom of the top piece. This
then comprises the bottom half of the fuel chamber which overall is a
good size at 4" diameter X 3" fuel depth, making fuelling less fiddly.
This compares well with the the Reed woodgas campstove LE which
equivalent dimensions are each a quarter of an inch smaller despite being
an overall larger stove. The in effect combined concentrator ring and pan
support is displayed upside down with the hinged pot supports folded in
for storage.  Nested for storage/carriage it occupies a space 5" in
diameter by a little over 2.5" high.  It fits nicely in its bag in a
small billy can, and together with the small kelly kettle fitted well
inside our cabin luggage comprising our cook set for a month.

My lighting technique these days for all TLUDs is to grate candle wax
over the top of the fuel which is then easily lit.  If the light off
fails for any reason, a little more grated wax dropped in usually helps
it turn the corner.

When not using it as a TLUD, and requiring a gentler heat I found it so
easy to light a pine cone and place it in the bottom, adding one or two
more or small pieces of wood.  Eventually the stove becomes sluggish and
less responsive to further added wood.  Time to give the contents a good
stir with a stick to riddle out the accumulating ash through the large
primary air holes, and off it goes again.

Paul, Doc  /  Dr TLUD  /  Prof. Paul S. Anderson, PhD wrote:

> Please note that they fail to have any riser (pre-pot chimney
> effect), which should be explored.

I suspect you would end up with a cleaner emissions stove, but at the
price of a less pocketable stove, and one with potential stability
problems on variable camp ground because of overall height, to which you
then add the problem of taking a windshield so much higher.  The
remarkeable thing to me was to discover in its overall height of only
6.5" to top of pot support, or 4.5" to secondary air holes that it
produced such a strong burn.  It only needs a chimney IMO if you wish to
retain that performance with cleaner emissions which, correct me if I'm
wrong, is where NDTLUD have traded one for the other in such formats
unless fuel is optimal, both only being more easily achievable through
the forcing of a chimney as in your Champion?  Different tools for
different situations and priorities perhaps?  In TLUD mode, to be able to
cut back the primary air once up to heat would be wonderful, as it does
become a bit of a towering inferno, but it is hard (for me) to see how it
could be done without adding too much complexity to the existing design.

Intuitively I suspect the emissions are more comparable to the rocket
stove than the much cleaner TLUDs worked on here with indoor air quality
a primary concern, and pot blackening is certainly comparable to a
rocket.  We found that dedicating one of those sponge backed scourers to
just remove the soot, but leaving the pot black with more stable
residues, and storing the pot in a plastic bag was all the civilising
required to deal with the soot deposits.

We also added this windshield which is a good match for the stove:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foldable-Outdoor-Camping-BBQ-Cookout-Windbreak-Sto
ve-Wind-Shield-Screen-8-Plates-/400786191281?hash=item5d50b7f3b1

At the end of the day it is designed as a camping stove, and it fulfills
this function impressively IMO and is easy to use, so few will be
disappointed with it in the field I imagine where a good cooking heat
easily achieved even with less than optimal fuel is of primary
importance, and clean emissions much less so.

Best wishes,   Neil Taylor