[Stoves] Strata combustor general principles

kgharris kgharris at sonic.net
Mon Sep 14 17:47:45 CDT 2015

Roberto,

Thank you for your excellent response.

Yes, it now has several tubes.  This is to increase the mixing capacity for a higher power flame.  I forgot to mention in the previous email that the Venturi works in addition to the draft to bring in secondary air.  The change in pressure is the main contribution of the Venturi.

I am a fan of Alexis Belonio.  We had a good talk at Aprovecho after ETHOS 14.  The pipe to conduct the wood gas to an lpg like device is a exciting idea.  I don't like the idea of cooling the gas unless it is to be stored, because so much heat is lost.  For a TLUD, burning the gas while it is hot makes sense.

A narrow pipe as you describe would work also to create a Venturi effect.  I can see how this would work.  You write that the holes are at the top of the central ring hole.  I put the tubes at the bottom of the combustor for two reasons:  better draft and more time for the gasses to finish burning.  This works for my needs.  When the flame hits the pot, it cools and some of the fuel is lost as PM, so I like to finish the burning before the flame hits the pot.  The pot seeing the entire flame will increase radiant heat to the pot surface but also can loose some of the conductive heat transfer as I have heard described at Aprovecho.  I am not familiar with your arrangment, whether this will happen or not.  Which is best, radiant or conductive I don't know, but your experience seems to add a vote for radiant.  I am happy that you are getting the good results that you want.  This is good.  There are many ways to burn wood gas.

Some of us attending Stove Camp at Aprovecho this summer, Steve, Cody, Ricardo, and myself tried using a second layer of tubes.  The test looked good at first until we realized that something was wrong with the sensor/computer read out.  When the filter was examined, it was very dirty.  This being said, some other thoughts need saying.  This combustor, as a 4 tube combustor had earlier tested at 1 mg/min, but clean at only 3 kw.  We wanted 5 kw, so we added the second row to this combustor to try to increase its capacity to the higher power level.  Thus we ran the stove at a higher power level.  All we proved was that this particular combination did not work at 5 kw.  I have been trying variations of this combination since, and the results are similar.  It really doesn't seem to work.  The single layer is better.  More tubes, as suggested by Cody Anderson at stove camp, is the direction I am trying.  It seems to work, but only if the entire array can be used.

The pipes themselves reduce the open area of the combustor, so reducing the overall combustor opening higher up is not needed.  The combustor is left wide above the stationary fan to allow room for the flame to finish burning.  The rate of combustion does not need to be increased.  Improving on 1 mg/min would not be that meaningful.  1/2 mg/min is not too different from 1 mg/min.  What I need to do is increase the usable power level.

Pre-mixing with a TLUD is not possible since as soon a it mixes, it burns.  It is a mixed-while-burning device.  Venturi gas mixers used for fossil gasses can pre-mix because the gas is cool and compressed.  TLUD wood gas is hot and at near atmospheric pressure.  The TLUD Venturi gas mixer will look quit different than a fossil gas Venturi mixer because of this.  The TLUD Venturi mix is on a par with a pre-mixed system, quite good.  Actually, it is quite excellent.

To cool the gas, a complex cooling and filtering system is needed, which would be expensive.  All TLUDs mix the hot gasses with various amounts of completeness.  The TLUD Venturi mixer is capable of mixing hot gasses, and doing it with a high amount of completeness.  Using a retort might be more appropriate for wood gas that is to be cooled.

Burning some of the gas below the tubes is a good topic.  I have found that with no flame below the tubes, soot is deposited on the bottoms of the tubes and the exhaust can be dirty.  Too much air below the tubes negates the value of the tubes and produces considerable smoke. Probably because of too much air cooling and diluting the flame.   Allowing a moderate amount of flame below the tubes keeps the tubes and exhaust clean, and does seem to help increase the possible power level.  The pre-tube secondary air can perform another task, if it is done right.  It can be used to blow the wood gas evenly over the tube mixer array.  This is very helpful because it avoids over or under loading any part of the array, making better use of the entire array.  The simple Strata designs of a year ago using the 5 point star or single tube arrangments seem to work better with various stoves.  The current design with more parallel tubes is more tempermental, and will need the stove to be designed for the combustor.

Thank you, Roberto for your thoughtful response and good ideas,

Kirk