[Stoves] Strata combustor general principles

kgharris kgharris at sonic.net
Wed Sep 16 21:58:04 CDT 2015

Dr. Boll and Crispin,

Thank you for your well considered responses.  I especially like the idea of balancing the reactor fuel chamber volumn with the combustor size.  I will keep this in mind as I progress, and seek that balance.

I don't quite understand Crispins flame tube.  The stove appears to be loaded with charcoal, so there should not be any smoke.  If the clay is insulating clay than the tube would provide a hot environment for the CO to burn, if there is a source of secondary air.  If the stove burns wood, by what principles does the tube work?  Is air injected inside the tube?  This would make use of the Venturi effect like Roberto's stove.  The flame gasses accellerating into the tube would drop in pressure and the pressure difference would help the atmosphere push secondary air into the flame to equalize the pressure, providing good mixing.  This seems to me like it might work well if that is how it works.  Is there something else that I don't see?

Kirk