[Stoves] Strata combustor general principles

kgharris kgharris at sonic.net
Thu Sep 17 21:20:34 CDT 2015

Frans,

It is exciting to have you bring up these concerns.  There is a question I have had for a long time, and your contribution reminds me about it.  It has to do with the pressures within the stove.  Perhaps you and the list can help answer this question.

First to address your concerns.  There is a sweet spot as to how much blockage the stove can manage.  It lies between to much, which blocks the flow and creates the attenuation you describe, and to little so that the combustor doesn't work.  I did not know that the venturi created a back pressure, I assumed that the back pressure was created by the obstruction of the tubes and fan.  I found the sweet spot by emperical experimentation.  I now know that this balance includes back pressure from the Venturi, if I understand you correctly.  So the equation now includes the resistance of three things: tubes, stationary fan blade, and Venturi back pressure.  I included your concern into the design without my even knowing it.  Its all a balance.  Thank you for your input, it is very good to help me understand more about the stove.  The combustor has been tested at Aprovecho and does work, so the idea is good.

The question I have had for so long is this:  When the wood gas emerges from the wood what is its pressure and how long does it take for the wood gas to drop to near atmospheric pressure?  When I measured the pressure in a stove with a manometer which measured down to 1/100th of an inch of water column, it measured at atmospheric pressure throughout the stove.  The water column did not move at all (I understand from Crispin that I must measure down to 1/1000th of an inch to find pressure differences).  Since the water column did not move when I measured the pressure at the pyrolytic front, that implies that the wood gas either reaches atmospheric pressure quickly or comes out of the wood at near atmospheric pressure.  Whatever the case, the wood gas comes out of the wood with enough force to push the atmosphere, which weighs twice as much as the wood gas, out of the stove.  That is a considerable amount of force.  I wonder how much pressure pyrolysis could build up in a confined container?  A lot I would guess, enough to cause an explosion.  Is the pressure of the emerging wood gas dependent on the pressure of the gas it emerges into?

Respectfully,

Kirk