[Stoves] Clean coal burning stoves Re: History of clean Chinese stove development.

alex english aenglish444 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 05:56:18 CDT 2015

Hi Paul,
At the end of our Ontario Stove Camp, the provincial biomass energy
engineer who participated spoke up. He said that Mongolian coal stove
experience was a good news story for biomass because the challenges are
similar. It is a technical success. Crispin deals with the world as it is
now. Perhaps most of the human race will hit a wall in the future, but
shunning coal in Mongolia now would saying go ahead you folks can hit the
wall now.

I spent Wednesday at the University of British Columbia. My two stops were
the Anthropology Museum and the Biomass Research and Demonstration Facility
and the Museum of Anthropology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UBC_Biomass_Research_and_Demonstration_Facility
http://moa.ubc.ca/school-programs/educational-websites/

It was a study in contrasts. There is a large ornate ceramic tile heating
stove from 16th century Europe.The stoves had no doors in the room and were
fed through openings in another room by servants. As the rich got poorer
the stove doors into the room were added. The tiles images told stories.
The  older culture of the west coast Salish saw the open fire burning as
the soul of their homes where the doorway in, lined with teeth and lips, is
a mouth, and the roof rafters and wall posts are the rib cage. Their
cooking pots were wooden boxes. The "bent wood" box side were made from a
single plank often cut from a living cedar tree without killing the tree.
The plank is notched and steamed so only one vertical seam is left to seal.

>From there I got a tour of the 35 million dollar wood chip fueled  deep bed
(5 feet deep) updraft gasifier heating plant. It was supposed to produce a
gas that could be run through an engine to produce electricity. The gas
would have been a lot like what a tlud produces they planed to clean it.
More than half of the equipment is locked-out because it didn't work. They
are still producing 25% of the campus heat requirements. However it is
still debated whether biomass plants similar to these are reducing CO2 in
the atmosphere or are a net benefit to society. There are IPCC reports that
claim that biomass plants can be worse than coal plants. Details matter. It
looks like the UBC biomass plant has low emissions. Like Crispin's coal
stove, this is a very good start. They have a lot in common technically
 but I doubt UBC is cleaning west coast air:)

CPP up here refers to the Canada Pension Plan:)

Alex