[Stoves] Clean coal burning stoves Re: History of clean Chinese stove development.

Seema Patel spatel at cleancookstoves.org
Fri Sep 18 17:29:36 CDT 2015

Including a belated response regarding the earlier email chains, but wanted to be sure the Alliance contributed to the discussion....

The Alliance's current understanding of the state of technology aligns with WHO's Indoor Air Quality Guidelines<http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/141496/1/9789241548885_eng.pdf> which recommends that coal should not be used as a household fuel, concluding that its combustion in the HH is carcinogenic, containing toxic elements not destroyed by combustion. Similarly, the IAQC cites existing evidence that shows household use of kerosene can lead to levels of particulate matter and other pollutants that exceed WHO guidelines. As well, the risk of burns, fires and poisoning, associated with the use of kerosene in developing countries is a cause for concern.
http://www.who.int/indoorair/guidelines/hhfc/recommendation_3/en/
http://www.who.int/indoorair/guidelines/hhfc/recommendation_4/en/

Overall, the Alliance supports and promotes a range of technologies, innovations and processing that will optimize fuel combustion leading to efficiency gains and cleanliness, but we also acknowledge that there are tradeoffs between all different fuels and technologies. Rufus Edwards from UC Irvine, will be speaking at the Ghana Forum on the panel "No Boundaries: household to ambient air pollution" about the Millennium Challenge Corporation's  Ulaanbaatar project, which focused on scaling up more efficient coal burning stoves - we welcome participation from the Stoves ListServ community in the discussion. I would also recommend any of the 4 stoves that were used in the Mongolian intervention to be added to the Alliance' Clean Cooking Catalog<http://catalog.cleancookstoves.org/pages/about>, along with any third party test results so we can have the information about the stoves' performance available to our stakeholders.

[Global_Aliance_Clean_Cookstoves_blue_v23]<http://www.cleancookstoves.org/>

Seema Patel
Senior Associate | UN Foundation
Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
Tel: 202.864.5149   Skype: seema.patel80
spatel at cleancookstoves.org<mailto:spatel at cleancookstoves.org>
www.cleancookstoves.org<http://www.cleancookstoves.org/>