[Stoves] Clean coal burning stoves Re: History of clean Chinese stove development.

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Sep 16 16:58:33 CDT 2015

Right on, Norbert.

What is not helpful is the stove design community furthering the misrepresentation, accidently or from not thinking about it. There are little communities devoted to preventing the use of charcoal, or wood, of certain woods, of coal, of kerosene.  The kerosene thing is really strange. There are thousands of references on line in articles calling kerosene a ‘smoky fuel’. Yet aircraft with turbofan engines run on kerosene and they seem to do a pretty good job if getting the air-fuel ratio correct. Jet-A is a great cooking stove fuel. But it has to be burned in the right conditions.

Here is a pretty good kerosene stove:

The top number is 1.8% which is the calculated CO2 concentration.

The second line is the CO in ppm: 0

The third line is the CO/CO2 ratio:  0.0000

How clean does a kerosene stove have to be for it to qualify as an ‘improved stove’ worthy of support?

If I use bio-kerosene (which is a light fraction of bio-diesel) it can be made out of anything. Who is it that is so dead set against kerosene? Not me. It is a wonderful, energy dense fuel that can be transported long distances by ordinary transport and stored safely in cans or tanks. Try that with LPG (which is a lovely fuel).

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:

(snip) There is a power station in the UK that burns car tires. I would say there is no fuel that cannot be burned cleanly. On a small scale it may be unproven, but we should get over the issue of problem identification. For the WHO to say that combustion products are inherent emissions is obviously misleading. (snip)

Crispin, this gets at the heart of something we see here in North America with wood heating.

As you know, I have spent 20+ years measuring emissions, so we are getting a reasonable handle on relative quantities.

We can compare 2 appliances doing the same job (heating a house) with the same piece of firewood, at opposite ends of the emissions scale: an "outdoor boiler" and a masonry heater. An outdoor boiler is basically a water cooled firebox, and yes, it is as bad as it sounds.

If we compare emissions, and take relative toxicity into account between soot and tar, then the emissions from the same

piece of wood are 1000X as toxic when burned in  the outdoor boiler asthey are when burned in the masonry heater, give or take. Even with an incredible 3 orders of magnitude difference, it is extremely hard to avoid getting tarred with the "all woodburning should be banned" brush by the clean air folks. These days I often refuse to have a conversation with them if they are unwilling to discuss numbers, which some of them are.

Have a good one..................Norbert

--

Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders