[Stoves] Coal and biochar stoves

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Wed Sep 23 21:41:40 CDT 2015

Dear Stovers,

Coal and biomass stoves:

Similarities:

1) They both have the same goal of producing a clean secondary flame used to boil water.
2) They both have achieved this goal (Crispin and Dean - and others)
3) They both have the three types of energy: a) pyrolysis gases b) solid-C > CO and c) CO > CO2
4) During optimization the three energy types are adjusted via primary air to produce the best ratio.

Because they are so much the same and manipulated the same to optimize conditions for the secondary I believe the coal stoves should be included in our discussions. They start with different ratios of the three energy types and it would be very interesting (to me) to know what the ratio is just before entering the secondary flame when burning clean. I wonder if they are the same or if we can learn ranges and limits to the ratios we need to achieve. As we get better testing techniques to study what goes on in combustion chambers it would aid us to include the info from coal stoves.

Real problem is Stove Labs need more money!  That to purchase testing equipment for their research, added personal and they should be testing more stoves.

as I see it…

Regards

Frank

franke at cruzio.com