[Stoves] [biochar] Need a "paper" for Boiling Point about char-making stoves

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Mon Apr 4 08:33:39 CDT 2016

Art,      (and BP editors)

You are certainly welcome to be part of the efforts.

I request that the BP journal (or guest editors?) send us all the
"submission guidelines" for articles to BP.

Currently I am envisioning at least 2 articles relating to how
char-making capacity is an "enabler" for cookstove adoption.

A.  One would be an overview / summary of how and why the advantages of
char-making stoves (versus those that do not make char) should be viewed
as "enablers" by stimulating governments and organizations to "endorse"
(including promotion, business loans, micro-credit, ore even subsidies)
these stoves because of MULTIPLE advantages, including all of the
following:

1.  Lower health-care costs (savings for governments because people are
more healthy because of the lowest emissions of dry biomass-fueled stoves;
2.  Improved national environmental protection (accomplishing the
government goals of slowing or stopping or reversing the destruction of
forests and other habitates, including reduction of hill-side erosion,
because the stoves can easily and preferably use "small wood" (e.g.
branches, not full living trees) and agro-refuse.
3.  Carbon negative for climate change.  (to meet government goals).
4.  Job creation (stimulation of renewable energy supply chains based on
local (in country) labor and natural resources;  includes fuels and
stove-making and businesses that can utilize the heat and/or char, such
as for water filters).
5.  Increase agricultural production (biochar topics)
6, 7, 8???
Additional items can be suggested.

Note:  We are making a case for ENABLEMENT to be seriously undertaken by
governments (and funders) BECAUSE the char-making stoves have multiple
advantages over other biomass-burning cookstoves.

NOTE AND FRIENDLY CHALLENGE:  Perhaps there should be an "Opposing
viewpoint" that someone would like to contribute, stating reasons why
char-making stoves should NOT be preferentially enabled by govenments
and funders.   We could have this discussion privately or (preferrably)
in public via the Stoves Listserv and the Biochar Listserv.

Potential co-authors are encourage to join this effort.

Art, we can start by turning these comments into an outline, but we
should do it Off-List.

B.  Second article is the case study of the Servals / Atmosfair Champion
TLUD Stove project in India (underway for 3 years), with a focus on the
local people (NOT on govenment assistance).  This project has financial
/ monetary impact ("enablers") from BOTH Carbon Credit and also Carbon
Buy-back.    This article will be written by Servals and Anderson and
possibly Atmosfair .

C.  It would sure be nice to have another "enabler" artilce that
includes the micro-gasifier stoves.

I request that the Guest Editors (Mike and Charlotte) send their advice
/ suggestions / etc about these possible articles, replying directly to
me at my private address     psanders at ilstu.edu     and if they wish, to
also send comments to the Biochar Listserv.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com