[Stoves] Stoves for School Kitchen

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Mon Apr 4 16:07:43 CDT 2016

Dear Tony,

Introductory message:

1.  I have been on the Stoves Listserv for about 15 years and IMHO your
message is by far the most complete INITIAL CONTACT that has ever been
received, complete with photos!!!   I and probably many others are
impressed with your thorough introduction and evident preparations.

2.  Raw loose sawdust is generally not a good fuel for rockets or TLUDs
or almost any stove type (unless in a fluidized bed with blowers and
much expense in larger systems).

3.  It sounds like your school and local community and local area would
be good candidates for some type of pelletizing operation. But that
involves some serious investment of funds and time, and you should get
good advice on it.   (Not from me.   I like pellets, but somebody else
needs to make them, or make briquettes, etc.) Briquetting might be a
better option.   Check the website of legacyfound.org   and discuss with
Richard Stanley, who is a subsrciber to this Stoves Listserv.   Making
(pre-processing) of fuels should be considered as a related but separate
"business venture" with leadership and workers who can function
separately from the stoves and cooking activities.

4.  Paal Wendelbo always said "Start with the fuel."   What can you tell
us about dry biomass fuels available in addition to sawdust? This will
shape the discussions and final stoves.  Scrap wood, scrap bamboo (or
bamboo harvested for stove fuel), can be put to use if you have it.
What agricultural residues are in the area?   Corn stalks and cobs?
Rice straw that is burned to get rid of it? There is no sense promoting
a specific design untill we have a better feel of the fuel options.

5.  Your school-kitchen operation is large enough that you should
consider some larger heat-units that can send flame to more than one
pot.   That is not done very frequently, so some development work would
be needed.   Also, you might want to consider having a "fire tender" who
looks after several (or all) stoves and is not involved in cooking.
Division of labor to get the jobs done efficiency can be useful.

6.  Multiple stoves can use one chimney, especially if arranged in a
line or curve so that the distance from each stove is as short as
possible.   You might even use that distance for having pre-drying of
your biomass fuels.    If you had a brick chimney about 6 feet tall (or
2 meters), it would get hot and give a good natural draft.   With a
chimney, you must have the pots essentially seal off the air gaps; too
much excess air will severely hurt your draft.

7.  The ability to have Forced Air (FA) is extremely important. Tell us
more about the reliabily of electrical power at your site.

8.  Please tell us more about your operation.   Where are you in
Indonesia?   More info about yourself, please.  What is your timetable
and your resources (skills, funds, personnel, etc.).

Others on the Stoves Listserv will be joining into this conversation.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com