[Stoves] Time at Aprovecho

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 19:38:27 CDT 2016

Hi Kirk;

Thanks for your update, and documents.  You are doing some pioneering work
for natural draft TLUDs.  It is important for follow creative lines of
inquiry, because we shouldn't expect — based on current practice and theory
— that we can reliably predict the results ahead of time.  The more complex
the system, the more important it is to experiment.  TLUD syngas is
variable and complex!!

One challenge that we face with natural draft burners is making them work
over a wide range of gas production rates.  It is interesting to see how
you have designed various components to come into play as flame size
increases.   These innovations may be applicable to other styles of burner,
especially the stator.

I expect that you have done this, but have you measured burner emissions as
you sequentially added components to your burner or unblock secondary air
intakes?  As each component is added, I would test its performance over a
range of gas production rates.  For example, what difference does it make
to have the stator installed, or not, at different power levels?  A graph
of particulate emissions vs. specific gasifcation rate (or primary air
superficial velocity), with two curves ±stator would be informative.  This
kind of analysis would help others to see the relative contribution (or
interference) of the various components.

If you have this kind of data, it would make an interesting paper.

This, by the way, is what I call 'stove testing'; not a couple of Water
Boiling Tests V.4.2.3 which to me looks more like 'stove certification'.

You have done a number of interesting things that I have not tried, because
I have only played arround with the main site for for introducting
secondary air.  Your work stimulated me to try the "annular, cross-current
burner".

Thanks again for sharing the progress of your work.

Cheers,
Julien.

--
Julien Winter