[Stoves] Time at Aprovecho

kgharris kgharris at sonic.net
Tue Apr 12 11:26:40 CDT 2016

Julien,

I have added and removed the components from the stove and watched the results on an informal basis.  What you are describing is more formal and will take a lot more time.  My thought is that one cannot do this until the component is designed and its function is understood as much as possible.  The wick, for example, is brand new and my time was spent discovering it and finding a design that worked.  There are a number of wicks that didn't work.  No sense getting information on those.  Now that there is one that works, your plan is good.  Still, there are a number of untried wick designs I would like to try.  Should I wade through those first and perhaps find one that works even better, or focus on the current design.  Each component effects the others, like the change needed in the stationary fan when turn-down was increased.  The whole system should probably be optimized as much as possible before detailed measurements are taken. On the other hand, the information you describe could lead to an improved component or system, so the informal and the formal can work together.  My conclusion is that in time, and it is close, I will need to do as you suggest.   You are right, that information will be important and useful.  Thank you for the thoughts and the direction.

Kirk