[Stoves] Of legitimacy and credulity (Was: business sickness, Crispin, 21 July 2016)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 12:18:38 CDT 2016

I apologize in advance if any acrimony is reignited. I am responding to
Crispin's post.

----

Crispin says, "There are so many conceptual errors in the evaluation
methods (including the social methods) that were it any other field, the
field itself would have been run out of town. And we wonder why it has
taken so long to gain legitimacy?"

You must be joking, Mr. Pemberton-Pigott.

Whose legitimacy are you thinking of?

Of the Clinton family business, in and out of the government? Why Hillary
Clinton gave clean cookstoves to millions of women around the world
<https://www.hillaryclinton.com/post/why-hillary-clinton-gave-clean-cookstoves-millions-women-around-world/>
?

Or some "top UN official" pleading ‘Make clean cooking part of eco drive’
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/environment/developmental-issues/Make-clean-cooking-part-of-eco-drive/articleshow/49431473.cms>?

These thought leaders <http://cleancookingrevolution.com/thoughtleaders/>?
These 20 men who care about clean cooking
<http://cleancookstoves.org/about/news/03-07-2016-20-men-who-care-about-clean-cooking.html>?
Of the United Nations
<http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2016/0527/From-cookstoves-to-forests-UN-puts-eye-on-mending-global-environment>?
The World Humanitarian Summit?

Chef José Andrés  proclaiming, "A Cooking Revolution: How Clean Energy and
Cookstoves Are Saving Lives
<https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2016/06/07/cooking-revolution-how-clean-energy-and-cookstoves-are-saving-lives>",
even as Marc Gunther asks, "These cheap, clean stoves were supposed to save
millions of lives. What happened
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/these-cheap-clean-stoves-were-supposed-to-save-millions-of-lives-what-happened/2015/10/29/c0b98f38-77fa-11e5-a958-d889faf561dc_story.html>?"

My own Chaiwalla Prime Minister and his two-bit sycophant who lies through
his teeth claiming "For the first time, the government has resolved to
bring LPG cylinders to these households
<http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/social-programs-under-2-years-rule-of-narendra-modi/article8633316.ece>"?
(Arvind
Panagaria has in mind the promises to bring LPG cylinders to 50 million new
households, those who otherwise used biomass; some

At Prime Minister’s call, one crore richer households have already given up
this subsidy

Before whom? Those who cook are not as credulous as we are credulous enough
to believe. No matter;  The Gold Standard
<http://www.goldstandard.org/blog-item/gold-standard-improved-cookstove-activities-guidebook>can
sell green-painted lead to fools ready to part with their money.

We could even appeal to the makers of automatic guns that they can offset
their sins by buying a few million stoves we certify will save lives.

Sorry, that's the topic for my next post, in response to your question on
"monetizing DALYs". (Advance warning - with enough armwaving, you can pull
any birds out of every hat.)

It is, of course, a big deal when stoves become part of "new strategy for
international development" - a  "core pillar of American foreign policy"
(compared to failed defense and failed diplomacy). Mrs. Clinton, who
proudly did not bake any cookies if she cooked anything at all, was
combining her husband's consulting fees - er, foundation expenses - and
foreign policy.

Legitimacy is measured in the market place - for research grants or for
appliances and fuels. As for the latter, liquid and gaseous fuels,
electricity, and appliances have gained enough legitimacy and new
applications keep emerging. Why, my favourite is "outsourcing the kitchen"

Shoving errors under the rug- er, in spreadsheets - is human; God may
forgive but auditors and M&E consultants shouldn't. (I suspect a DfID
evaluation of a Teri stoves program grant was jiggered to eliminate
potentially unsavoury findings.) Questions cannot be shoved

---------
(India +91) 909 995 2080
   2. Re: Fwd: business sickness (Xavier, Crispin)
      (Crispin Pemberton-Pigott)
   3.

Message: 1