[Stoves] PV-battery fans (Re: A J Heggie)

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 16:50:12 CDT 2016

On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 22:28:42 +0100, ajheggie at gmail.com wrote:

>[Default] On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 16:16:50 +0530,Traveller
><miata98 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Well, do you think woodstoves with PV-battery fans may be able to capture
>>1% of the cooking energy market in a developing country 10 years? That's
>>huge, and more than any improved woodstove has in the last 50 years.

How do you decide on those figures from this discussion?

My inference from recent discussions here  was that a small PV
solar-battery combination was more likely to be cost effective than a
TEG IF it was decided that a fan powered stove was "worthwhile".

>>For one, the SE4All campaign is about "universal access" to electricity
>>(and "clean cooking", whatever that means). And even then, it is becoming
>>clear that there is a pico-PV battery market for phone, laptop, fan, for
>>mobile applications or a host of other appliances. Adding another battery
>>may improve the utilization rates for PV system investments, which then
>>lower the cost of outages on the grid if there is a grid connection. (I am
>>betting that at any given time, a fourth of the grid-connected households
>>in developing countries have a grid failure. No use pumping diesel power in
>>the grid or generate diesel power if small uses can be taken care of by
>>batteries.)

I come from a country with a well established and reliable grid so I
can only but imagine what I might value of the utility of a small
amount of electricity. I suggest that powering a smart phone and
lighting would be high on that agenda but it would be interesting to
see the price/demand curve as electricity gets cheaper, I think it
would have to fall a lot before cooking with electricity becomes
economic. My cooking is almost exclusively done with electricity but
that cost is a very low percentage of my income.

AJH