[Stoves] forced draft (Re: A Karve 13 August)

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Sat Aug 20 04:56:58 CDT 2016

On 19 Aug 2016 at 19:25, Traveller wrote:

> I remembered how some charcoal fires used to be run with a hand
> blower. I found a modern version on Amazon.in, here
> <http://www.amazon.in/Grill-Blower-Charcoal-Grills-Fireplaces/dp/B011
> 7F268 0>

These can sometimes be purchased for as little as one GB pound in pound
shops in the UK (and a little more on ebay), and are excellent for
starting or reviving volcano kettles when there is no wind and/or
reluctant fuel, or for reviving a TLUD which has gone out, by simply
blasting it into the top until the flame rekindles well enough to
sustain, or less urgently applying it gently to the bottom outside
airholes which can help a flagging  NDTLUD revive sometimes.  I use it as
an occasional 'rescue' in other words.  Sustained use of it would be
tedious as well as occupying both hands.  They seem surprisingly durable
as well. I've had the same one for years.

Just cooked a nice omelette on one of the Chinese NTLUDs using very fine
dry wood chip - almost chain saw sawdust size.  This restricts the
primary air nicely for a lengthy sustained moderate heat, but there is no
possibility to add fuel at the end of the batch to keep it going, yet
even such micro char successfully fuels our BBQ.  Using much larger fuel
allows for indefinite burn time whether beginning the burn as a TLUD or
not.  So versatile these stoves.  Much as I enjoyed the Reed fan woodgas
campstoves, I no longer take them on trips now, but still use them
occasionally at home.

Neil Taylor