[Stoves] Leading questions mislead (Re: Ronal Larson)

Nikhil Desai ndesai at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 30 15:38:20 CDT 2016

Dear Paul:

Thank you for indulging me. I don't think I would advocate anything on the
basis of technical design and performance. Nobody would or should believe
me.

Yes, I was naughty. But you also noticed I gave an alternative to preparing
the fuel - purchasing it at an indicative price, say USc 10 per kilo.

I agree wholeheartedly with you "when something is new or unknown to
someone, do not expect that person to intuitively independently understand
what is new.  Therefore, we "instruct" and "market" and "lead" and
"demonstrate" etc to spread knowledge, with the hope that the unknowing
person might understand and at least consider and maybe even adopt what is
new."

True, "Not all leading questions mislead. " And I am prepared to even
mislead, if it somehow means getting better and effective solutions, in
this case stoves and fuels that people want.

My interest, plainly put, is simply this -- what is the role of public
budgets in supporting new cooking technologies desired by the poor and what
is the rationale?

If not the stove - for a variety of reasons, competitive subsidy to stove
producers does not seam feasible - the fuel can be subsidized. Hence my
question about purchasing at "USc 10 per kilo."

While I know nothing about stove design, perhaps it is too much to expect a
single stove design to adapt to all types and qualities of solid biomass
throughout the year. It may be easier to separate out a niche for TLUD
market potential where purchased fuel is competitive with current and
expected alternatives.

In short, what is worth subsidizing, how and by how much, how long, to what
end? I have seen no real delineation of geographic market and competition
for any country in the world, not even with otherwise fairly sensible
consultant reports to GACC. So it is impossible to even get started on a
sensible policy discussion. Just hoping that some donor somewhere would be
tired enough or pressed enough to throw a couple of hundred million dollars
into RD&D or loan guarantee funds isn't much of an answer. There is a
market, a vibrant "economy and culture" in constant change at the farm,
village and household levels. What should a government do?

I write erratically, because I don't have an answer to many, many questions
and I refuse to accept answers proffered in terms of saving trees or
climate, or reduction of premature mortality. Least of all on the basis of
what Cecil calls the "fundamental foolishness of expecting abstract ISO
standards, metrics, and household stove performance tests to lead the
stovers and stove producers of the planet into a paradise of smokeless
pollution free biomass cooking and space heating."

This iSO enterprise doesn't even bother to ask leading questions. They are
armed with the weaponry of models and fiction of unrepresentative
behaviors.

As Marie Antoinette might say, "Let'em Boil Water!" :-)

Thanks, again. I will comment on your other post later.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(India +91) 909 995 2080
*Skype: nikhildesai888*