[Stoves] report with dissapointing results from cleaner cookstoves (Crispin)

Roger Samson rogerenroute at yahoo.ca
Sat Dec 10 08:45:35 CST 2016

Here are a few snip-bits from the GACC web site:

http://cleancookstoves.org/technology-and-fuels/standards/defining-clean-and-efficient.html
"Note that Tier 4 is always the highest performing and most likely to achieve the greatest health or environment benefits".
"For example, some of the Alliance’s activities are not restricted to the Tiers defined above, some activities are even more restrictive.  Alliance partners also have a broad range of goals. In order to reach 100 million households with a sustained level of adoption, our approach is to support a wide range of activities, while also raising the bar on stove performance over time as the sector matures".

Does everybody understand how they are focussed on activities (specifically large numbers of advanced technology stoves) and not managing for health outcomes or financial benefits to communities.

The main dedicated biomass users are in rural areas if you examine individual country household surveys.
If GACC were managing for improved health outcomes of people the simplest low cost program they could do is focus on rural areas in the tropics to encourage stoves that are suitable for outdoor use and encourage outdoor kitchens.  There is minimal exposure to the cook or her family as particles readily disperse before they hit the breathing area of the user as well they do not continuously circulate as in poorly ventilated indoor kitchens. I think understanding of particle dispersion is lacking.

So you do not need elaborate financially unsustainable Tier 3 or 4 stoves to do this. You do not need to import stoves from outside a country.

REAP-Canada is managing for health outcomes by supporting locally made clay brick stoves that can be used outdoors within a simple well ventilated outdoor kitchen.
http://reap-canada.com/online_library/IntDev/Brochure%20-%20REAP%20Noflay%20Clay%20Brick%20Stove.pdf

The improved stoves are made with local materials, skills and knowledge.  Our stoves don’t have a place in GACC’s money burn on Tier Technology that is essentially making developing countries reliant on imported technologies (with the benefits going to the more advanced country).

The reality is GACC is effectively doing a shotgun money burn on activities because they aren’t following good development practice and managing for outcomes through results based management.

Roger Samson