[Stoves] Offtopic: Malawi and responsibility (Andrew, Roger)

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sat Dec 10 18:31:54 CST 2016

Dear Cecil The Wise

How about picking up on Tom's point and ‎share with us what you would offer the GACC board, seven of whom I know, as ways to improve the market penetration and the stimulation of sustainable enterprises.

You have been looking at this for a long time. Your institutional audience is nearly nil. Well, you did get a team award for the Indonesian Pilot, I guess. Ok someone is listening but not enough.

Given the GACC's preference for stimulating donations and devoting them to particular projects, what could they require as quid pro quos from implementers that would bring greater, or the greatest, impact?

I guess I am asking what the big shortfalls are. Where are the big opportunities?

I will contribute something to the pot as well.

Thanks
Crispin

‎Dear CPP,

As an anthropologist with too many years of experience in the field talking to folks about their stoves and other types of technos I have learned that the challenge and the art and even the revelation depends on knowing which questions to ask, how to ask them (in what language to ask these questions), how to record and aggregate the answers, and how to communicate your findings to decision makers who are trapped in a welter of competing agendas and paradigms.

My anthropological conversations and feed back from stove users, makers, sellers, fuel suppliers,etc to policy makers and funders is like water off a ducks back. Maybe I am studying the wrong subjects......maybe I should study the policy makers and funders and standard setters in Euro American high places. I need to study up from the stove users point of view at the BOP.

Cecil

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.