[Stoves] Offtopic: Malawi and responsibility (Andrew, Roger)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 00:23:05 CST 2016

Dear Cecil:

I suggest listening to Gillian Tett: The Anthropology of Economics 16 Jul
2013
<https://soundcloud.com/tim-harford-economics/gillian-tett-the-anthropology>
.

Tett is a major writer for the Financial Times. She talks about how some
people deify computer models without thinking about human beings.

I am afraid that is the case with ISO/IWA, WHO/BAMG exercises.

I wrote of this "box mentality" before -- reducing stoves to fireboxes and
human beings to lungs. Running computer models about oxidation without
bothering about fuel chemistry, human biology, society, culture, food, sex,
production, consumption.

"Scientist" is a job category, like "lawyer", "sweeper", "fixer". Not
everything that scientists do is science.

I disagree with Crispin about "inflated claims for health impact from
cooking fire smoke" bit. It's all a matter of definitions, data, methods. A
matter of opinion.

It is presumptuous to "learn to see the truth". All I can do is verify
particular opinions via examination of definitions, data, methods. It is my
opinion that WHO assertions on IAQ and attribution of BOD are unverifiable.

I choose to call it - and the hyperboles from GACC - hocus pocus. But
others should examine.

Nikhil