[Stoves] Biomass, coal and LPG as cooking fuels ... was Re: report with disappointing results from cleaner cookstoves

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Dec 13 15:04:32 CST 2016

Stovers,   (Subject thread changed because the topic has shifted completely)

We are stovers.   We are on the Stoves listserv that has a STRONG focus
on biomass fuels.  And we will stay that way.

But we are not to be ignorant about other fuels.   We know that there
are massive efforts (and investments) for LPG stoves, especially in
India, but talked about in many places.   About LPG, I only complain
that LPG is sucking up so much of the funding and advocacy support.
Just give equal resources to the CLEAN biomass-burning stoves.  Not
likely to happen, so LPG fossil fuel gets burned, increasing the CO2 in
the atmosphere.  And LPG will NEVER reach the hundreds of millions of
households that need better stoves.  Cherry pick the more affluent of
the poor.   But LPG is not a realistic answer when it comes to serving
the masses of people in poverty.

But we tollerate LPG.  If interested, sign up for the LPG stove webinar
that is this Thursday at 9 AM Central Standard Time.

But hey, what about coal?   It certainly gets bad-mouthed on the Stoves
listserv.   Dirty coal.  Blah Blah Blah.

Well, if we can "tollerate" LPG as a fossil fuel that gives clean
cookstoves to needy people, we should also "tollerate or even accept"
that CLEAN-BURNING of COAL is just as good (or equally bad but allowed)
as LPG.

IF    or   WHEN   or    NOW THAT      the Model 4 coal gasifiers are
measureably shown to be quite clean burning, it is time for the Stovers
to acknowledge them and to actually embrace the coal gasifiers WHERE
APPROPRIATE.   Coal and modern coal-burning gasifier stoves are not a
strong candidate solution for cookstoves in the humid tropics where
biomass is sufficiently present.   And coal is certainly not present
everywhere.

But where coal is available and where biomass is scarce (such as Malawi)
or where it is cold and stoves run almost continually for 5 to 8 months,
these new improved coal burners COULD have a major role.   They should
have a chance to be proven.   Time for some resources to be put into
usage of that technology.

The Stoves Listserv has had major discussions about alcohol stoves and
now LPG and even some (not much) about solar and retained heat cookers.
We are not about ONLY biomass stoves.   We are about stoves for
impoverished people, for whom biomass is by far the most important
fuel.  But we are NOT against coal when burned correctly and in
appropriate situations.  (If we were against coal and fossil fuels, we
would abandon most of the USA for 3 to 5 months every winter because our
homes would be frozen shut.)

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com