[Stoves] Biomass, coal and LPG as cooking fuels ... was Re: report with disappointing results from cleaner cookstoves

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Dec 13 21:40:17 CST 2016

Dear Ron

"The big difference is not in the combustion characteristics ...it is in the global warming impact of all the fossil carbon sources.‎"

So, would you support efforts to cut the amount of coal consumed in half?

‎If not, I think you owe us an explanation. You have strongly advocated the reduction of CO2 emissions even going to the extent of taking biomass and instead of using the energy available, burying it in the ground, thereby increasing the demand for cutting it. I find this remarkable.

I know you have many times expressed a rejection of coal combustion on any scale. So will you support an effort that delivers a 50% reduction in its consumption?

There is no chance whatsoever that the poor of Kyrgyzstan will use biomass instead of coal. There isn't any.

The capital of Tajikistan is piped for natural gas, all over the place. But there is no gas at all. So they burn coal. Since the dissolution of the Soviet Union the rural population has swept the trees off the mountain sides. They are bare. ‎There is only coal and dung. The dung is needed for agriculture.

I think they have a RIGHT to burn coal and that right shall not be abrogated by rich foreigners telling them they should freeze to death.