[Stoves] Biomass, coal and LPG as cooking fuels ... was Re: report with disappointing results from cleaner cookstoves

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 14 00:22:23 CST 2016

Crispin,    ( added the Biochar Listserve that can discuss this on that
Listserv separately from the Stover point of view.  They should read
Crispin's message (at bottom) before reading this message from me.)

Hold on.  Let's have clarity.   You wrote:
> *So, would you support efforts to cut the amount of coal consumed in
> half?*
I am sure that you did not mean for the whole world, but that you did
intend to say:

/So, would you support efforts to cut in half the amount of coal
consumed by people who are already consuming coal because they have no
other fuel option and their climate has cold winters, so not coal
burning would mean death.  Therefore, they WILL burn coal, and I am only
asking about cutting that amount of coal in half.  AND the stove to do
that is cleaner burning than what they currently have.  Would you
support that?

/I am sure that Ron can agree to that longer statement.   I hope we are
all in agreement.

Now, there is a second issue.  You wrote:
> *taking biomass and instead of using the energy available, burying it
> in the ground, thereby increasing the demand for cutting it. I** find
> this remarkable. *
Again, unclear about "burying IT in the ground."   The IT is not
biomass.   The IT is charcoal in the form of biochar.

I am sure that Ron does believe that.   And so to I.   What I find
remarkable is the you (Crispin) seem to not agree with that activity.
And here is why you might want to agree.

The world now has TLUD stoves.  Compared to 3-stone and simple mud
stoves, to do the same cooking tasks (but with cleaner cooking) TLUDs
use only half or less than half of the FUEL used for traditional
cooking.   I said FUEL, not energy.  AND there is still the charcoal
coming out of the TLUD stove.   So the charcoal is just a fringe
benefit.   It happens in TLUD stoves.   So, if Ron or I or others want
to bury it, that should not be objectionable.   In fact, in the "Case
Study... Deganga" article at my website, the women (cooks) are delighted
to SELL that TLUD-created charcoal to the charcoal buyers.  The women
earn about $2.50 to $3 per month. Important money to them.  And they do
not care about where that char goes.  12,000 TLUDs are producing about
10 TONS of good quality char each DAY in that Deganga area.  12,000
household selling US$2.50 of char each month is a cash flow of $30,000
each month.  That becomes a business.   BTW, that Deganga char is
re-sold for burning, and not used as biochar.   At least not yet.

Sorry, I digressed a bit.  Now back to the point.  By burying char as
biochar, each ton of C (carbon) has the CO2eq of 3.66 tons.  So 10 tons
would be over 36 tons of CO2eq per day.   In one month that would be
over 1000 tons per month.

The "street price" of a ton of CO2eq (that is, one carbon credit) is
variable, but yesterday on the Internet I saw prices of $8 to $25 per
carbon credit.  1000 tons per month X $10 per CC becomes $10,000.   Note
that $10,000 is only one third of the cash flow of $30,000 from selling
the char.   But for $30 per carbon credit, the women would sell the char
to someone who wants to bury it.  And I have heard that carbon credit
prices could go past $50 with the increased interest in climate change.

Well, biochar is believed to enhance soil characteristics.   I think the
evidence supports that, but that is not the issue now.   The issue is
that some poor lady using a TLUD stove is getting some money to help her
family survive and get ahead, maybe buying a school uniform for a
daughter, or purchasing some medicine.

I hope that clarifies some of the issues.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com