[Stoves] Off-topic: Hollywood kills children (or, watching movies is the new PM2.5 danger)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 16:13:00 CST 2016

The original post had the ad referred to
<http://smokefreemovies.ucsf.edu/sfm-ads/ad-117> in the body of the e-mail,
which got too large so now I have clipped it.

----

Smokeless stoves and smokeless power plants are so yesterday. There is an
ad advocating all movies with image of tobacco smoking carry an R rating -
not suitable for under-aged.

The ad is titled, "Hollywood's lost decade, measured in children."

Yup. Now we can have "Children Lost by the Biomass Stove Development
Movement". I have been throwing numbers around for various cohorts in
earlier posts. Might be a good career move.

Then the ad says,

"Tobacco policies adopted by the major studios between 2007 and 2013
allowed smoking in 42% of their top-grossing PG-13 movies and exposed
movie-goers to 47 billion tobacco impressions. The MPAA must replace failed
policies with an R-rating standard that truly protects children."

The path to hell is paved with good intentions.

Movie cops would now round up all the children who watch R rated movies
surreptitiously.

The CDC has gone the IHME way - fanaticism degenerating into lunacy.

Watching movies "causes" deaths - as in real deaths, not computed DALYs?

As if watching killing, sexual violence, alcohol and drug use, is benign,
harmless.

Children must be protected from reality, even if it means blinding them.
(They may become "experts" and sign off peer reviews.)

Like GACC infants finding a child killed by a fire "Significant News". They
have been so indoctrinated in the emissions-death mythology that they don't
know people's homes are sometimes built with the same material as what they
use for fuel.

Why not put all tobacco smokers in a fenced community? Also throw in
tobacco farmers, cigarette company shareholders, alcohol users, drug
abusers, other undesirables and deplorables.

Then call up eugenicists from Stanford to cook up death tools and "causes
of death" certificates.

And build solar-powered smokeless incinerators, invite CDC to sign off on
death warrants under the justification that 200 million premature deaths
will be averted in the next ten  years. (BAMG will develop the models.)

Such hysteria cheapens the meaning of "truly protect", the phrase Prof.
Kirk Smith uses in the presentation Ron sent us link to last week.

Tell Hollywood to rate smoking 'R'. "One little letter will save a million
lives."

CDC needs Tom Price. Rest of us need true protection from child saviors.
(Neil - rings any bells?)

I have an estimate that Ron Larson may use - "Allowing the word 'coal' on
this list causes a million premature deaths per year and also causes
0.00000x degree C of increase in GMST by 2200."

We live in the post-factual world.

Makes me want to reach for my Dunhill and Southern Comfort, Jack Daniels,
or 130 proof Virginia Rye and real Virginia tobacco.

Nikhil